We have a temp foster program called Bow Wow Break Out. It allows for a 10 minute break out up to a 48 hour break out.
Below is our protocol - We have had tremendous success the past two years!
Bow Wow Breakout Protocol – Pick-Up
· The person participating must be a volunteer, staff, active foster or will need to complete the Bow Wow Breakout (BWB) Application and be approved by a member of the MACC management team.
· Eligible animals must be:
o property of MACC (off stray hold)
o available for adoption
o vaccinated for rabies.
Puppies under 6 months of age are not eligible for BWB. MACC Manager and MACC Medical Director have the authority to approve any additional animals for a BWB.
· Staff processing the BWB will need to complete the following:
o Answer any participant question related to the dog and/or BWB process.
o Provide the participant with any and all meds needed for the duration of the BWB.
o Provide the participant with an overnight folder that will include:
§ kennel card
§ medical records
§ personality and information form
§ post-op information if needed
§ Emergency Medical Contact Information
· Remind participate that a BWB is up to 48 hours, anything beyond that timeframe will need to transfer into the foster adoption ambassador program.
· Place a memo regarding expected return in Chameleon.
· Outcome the animal as a BWB Participate in Chameleon.
· If the animal is returning within 24 hours, place BWB signage on kennel with expected date of return. This will place a hold on the kennel.
· Initial all components on the BWB check off list.
Bow Wow Breakout Protocol – Return
· Process the animal “back” into the system. Follow appropriate chameleon return policy.
· Collect any food or meds and request the Personality and Information Form, if they did not complete the form at home, ask them to fill it out before they leave the facility.
· Return the animal to their kennel.
· Place the Personality and Information Form in the programs office pre-approved location. (Box marked – “Bow Wow Breakout Forms&rdquo
· Programs Office designee will enter the information into Chameleon.